General Information/How to Apply
General information: Bando Generale (Eng), Allegato A (Computer Science and Systems Engineering p. 25)
- Computer Science: 12 positions, 10 with scholarship (4 funded by FBK)
- Systems Engineering: 3 positions, 2 with scholarship
The on-line application form is available here (link: http://servizionline.unige.it/studenti/post-laurea/dottorato), see
http://servizionline.unige.it/studenti/post-laurea/dottorato/help for instructions.
You can can keep updating your application until the application deadline (This year: 10 June 2016, 12 noon Italian time).
Click here to have a look at the important dates.
You will need to fill the form with your personal data and to specify the PhD program you are applying for (Computer Science and Systems Engineering). Then you will have to specify the curricula.
It is assumed that you are interested in one of the research areas of the PhD in Computer Science and Systems Engineering. A description of the research areas may be found here.
Prospective applicants are encouraged to contact the reference person for the theme they are interested in. In case they wish to visit the department, they can contact the PhD program coordinator.
One necessary requirement for admission is that you have a University degree at Master level, or you expect to obtain it by 31 October 2016. If you have a foreign degree (ie you did not graduate in Italy) your application your follow an ad hoc procedure to have your degree recognized as equivalent to an Italian degree.
You will need to upload a number of documents (in pdf format):
- valid photo ID (both sides and all pages)
- CV that clearly indicates your prior research experience (this includes e.g. project work, publications, teaching experience, title and short summary of your Master’s thesis)
- research project consistent with the research theme that you selected (10 pages maximum).
A template of the research project is available here
- transcript of exams with grades
Each canditate should provide 1 to 3 reference letters to support the application. You must not upload reference letters. These must be sent directly by the writer to the PhD coordinator (see below).
Important notice for non local candidates
For non-local candidates (i.e., not known to faculty members at DIBRIS) it is particularly important to secure reference letters from well-established researchers that can provide a reliable assessment of the candidate's abilities.
A template of the reference letter may be found HERE
The reference letters must be sent by the writer of the letter to the following email addresses, before the submission deadline
-computer science: phd.compsci at dibris.unige.it (replace at with @)
-systems engineering: phd.syseng at dibris.unige.it (replace at with @)
A Selection Committee (COMMISSIONE) evaluates background knowledge and research potential of the candidates, based on the information submitted with their application (TITOLI) and based on a technical/motivational INTERVIEW. At the end the Committee produces a ranked list (GRADUATORIA) of candidates sufficiently qualified and trained to have a reasonable expectation of successfully completing the graduate program.
The ranking is primarily based on a combination of the following criteria:
- Quality of previous undergraduate/graduate workStrength of reference letter
- Statements in the applicant's research proposal
- Other evidence of graduate potential
- Availability of an advisor in the research area selected by the applicant
- Availability of positions in the PhD program