The PhD in Computer Science and Systems Engineering is a research degree in which PhD students are expected to acquire broad foundations in the theory and practice of Computer Science and Systems Engineering combined with a deep understanding of a specific area.
The PhD program lasts 3 year. Training activities include attending classes, national and/or international schools on advanced topics, seminars, and conferences.
Research areas of interest to the program are:
Computer Science Curriculum
- Data Management and Analysis, Data Intensive Computing, Web and Stream Data, Geographic Information Systems
- Computer Graphics, Geometric Modeling, Computational Topology, Scientific Visualization, Spatial Data Processing
- Image Processing and Analysis, Computer Vision, Medical Imaging
- Artificial Intelligence, Multi-agent Systems; Knowledge Representation, Computational Logic, Constraint Programming, Verification
- Machine Learning: theory and algorithms, Bioinformatics, Text and Image Retrieval
- Programming Languages, Compilers, Type Theory, Semantics, Concurrency, Theoretical Computer Science
- Software Engineering, Sotware Development Methods, Human Computer and Multimodal Inferfaces, Multimedia Systems
- Parallel Systems, Distributed Systems, Cloud Computing, Operating Systems, Security, Web and Networks
Systems Engineering Curriculum
- Dynamic systems Modelling, Analysis, Identification and Forecasting techniques
- Planning, Optimization, Multi Agent and Distributed Optimization
- Optimal Control, Robust Control, Model Predictive Control, Supervisory Control and Distributed Control Schemes
- Simulation and Design of Experiments methods
- Risk management, System Sustainability, System Reliability, Critical Infrastructures
- Industrial Automation, Optimization of Manufacturing activities, Supply Chain Management·
- Modeling, Optimization and Control of Transportation Systems and Networks
- Monitoring, Supervision, Modeling and Optimization of Environmental Systems
- Energy Systems and Distributed Energy Networks Modelling, Optimization and Management
The PhD Program encourages visits of PhD students to foreign institutions as part of the PhD training, for a maximum of 18 months over the 3 years program. Such visits must be approved by the PhD Coordinator (visits below 6 months) or by the PhD Program Committee (visits over six months).
A PhD degree in Computer Science and Systems Engineering opens a variety of career opportunities. Natural outcomes are in academic or research institutions or else in R&D departments of national and international companies. Further career opportunities, not strictly related to research, but still leveraging on the role of ‘innovators’, include the establishment of spin-off companies or consultancy.